Monday, April 4, 2016

21 Day Sugar Detox Starts Today!

I have decided to participate in the April 21DSD (day sugar detox), created by Diane Sanfilippo of Balanced Bites.  Diane created this customizable 21 day program to help guide participants through a sugar detox.

For me, this exercise in detoxifying sugar from my body is SO overdue.  My dessert obsession began as a child.  My grandmother made the most delicious homemade desserts, which isn't bad on occasion.  As I became an older child, my brother and I were rewarded with candy.  As a teenager, I would walk to the convenience store with friends after school to purchase my favorite candy--Airheads and Nerds--and fill up a large cup with a super sugary fruit drink from the frozen drink dispenser called Parrot Ice-ha.  As an adult in my 20s, I would always end my grocery store trip with a bag or box of candy at checkout and eat on the drive home.  Over the past few years I have cut out the candy snacking at the grocery store and do eat an overall healthier diet, yet somehow I have created this habit (yes, it's a habit) of automatically reaching for a sweet snack after lunch and dinner.  Don't get me wrong--there are definitely days when I crave dark chocolate--and I think that is ok, but it's not ok when I think about what type of sweet item I will eat while still eating dinner.  It is ridiculous and has to end!  So here I am today.  After I began to follow a mainly paleo diet about 6-7 weeks ago, the Balanced Bites podcast has become a staple in my life.  This is where I learned about the 21 DSD and decided it is time.  I even convinced my husband to participate in hopes of making the next 21 days easier.  So here goes!

My objective: To detoxify my body of the sugary crap and learn to enjoy food without the need for sugar.  I look forward to less toxic sugar side effects, primarily skin irritations, breakouts, mood swings and low energy levels.

I plan to chronicle my meals on most days and supply recipes or the link to a recipe.

**Note: I am pregnant so my meals will include the energy modification for Level 2.  My meals will also vary dependent upon my daily workouts.

Day 1
   Pre-workout fuel (60 minute boot camp): half of green tip banana with a bit of almond 
   butter, water.

   Breakfast: Almond Milk Smoothie     
                   1 cup unsweetened almond milk
                   Other half of green tip banana from earlier + ~half of frozen banana
                   ~1/2 TSP 100% organic cacao powder
                   ~5 frozen organic cherries + a couple frozen organic blueberries
                   ~1 TBSP almond butter
                   All ingredients blended together in Nutri Bullet blender
                  
                   Coffee with unsweetened coconut milk and unsweetened almond milk

   10:30 a.m. snack: 10 unsalted almonds
   
   Lunch: Nori Wrap
               1 sheet of nori, cut in half
               1/3 medium avocado, smashed on nori
               Thinly sliced piece organic cucumber
               2 slices Applegate Farms roasted turkey breast
               
               Cauliflower Chowder (~1 1/2 cup)
Cauliflower Chowder, recipe courtesy of Daily Paleo

This soup was leftover from last night and I did not have extra bacon for lunch today.  I used my homemade chicken bone broth and used an immersion blender, which made my version a bit smoother.

   Snack: Roasted Sweet Potato
               1/2 medium sweet potato
               small bit of Kerry Gold grass fed butter
               sprinkle of cinnamon and nutmeg
               Grapefruit

   Dinner: Slow Cooker Paleo Italian Meatballs with Parsnip and Turnip Mash
Recipe and photo, courtesy of Paleo Newbie

               Parsnip and Turnip mash recipe from the Meals Made Simple cookbook.  
               I served the meatballs and sauce over the mash and it was delicious.

It is now 10:15 p.m. and I have officially made it through day one.  I did notice a bit of a headache around 11:30 a.m.  Not sure if this was the result of no sugar all morning or just a coincidence.  Either way I feel so great to have not cheated once--I really want to do this right and give 100% to see the full results.  I did notice I was hungry between meals, which is why I added the grapefruit.  I know that on the days I workout my appetite is off the charts so I will wait and see how I feel tomorrow with no workout.

More meals and recipes to come.

Heather  





No comments:

Post a Comment